It’s been a year now since I left home in the US. 2011 was a big year! It was the year I quit my job and embarked on my biggest adventure.
As I celebrate my 1 year travel anniversary today, I share here some of the important life lessons I learned: from the planning stages of my trip until my actual trip; from my very own experiences to the people that inspire me and the people that I met in my travels. I am a solo traveler but I’m rarely alone. I am incredibly grateful for the wonderful people who shared my journey and made my year of travel extra special. The people I meet, the lessons I learn, and who I have become as a person after these experiences are the main reasons why I travel.
1. The normal life is so overrated. Who says you have to live like everybody else?
2. The world is meant to be discovered and experienced, not only to be read.
3. You can achieve whatever it is that you set your mind to do but hard work is mandatory.
4. Materialism breeds discontent. Avoid debt at all cost. The secret to happiness is having less.
5. You really don’t need a lot to be happy. The great things in life are free (or if in Asia, can often be negotiated).
6. If you’re not doing one thing a day that scares you, you are not really living.
7. Learning to be comfortable with the uncomfortable is strength training in life.
8. Don’t follow the majority. Most of them have no idea where they’re going in life either.
9. You are a special person and you don’t have to be like everybody else. Embrace your uniqueness.
10. Give up your excuses but never your dreams.
11. Someday is a myth. Set goals and don’t defer life to the future.
12. Treat the world as your classroom. Mistakes and life experiences are the best teachers.
13. If you believe the world is out to do you good, it will. Open your heart to the world and the world opens itself to you.
14. The hardest part of this whole traveling thing is the decision making part. Sometimes all you have to do is just set a date, pack the essentials and go. You will figure out the rest along the way.
15. Traveling light is the best kept secret of happy travelers. Owning less stuff is the best kept secret of happy people.
16. When in doubt your instinct is your most powerful weapon. Most especially if you’re a woman.
17. Don’t forget to take the time to slow down and enjoy life. That’s what sunsets are for.
18. The grass is never greener on the other side. The grass is greener where you water it. Love what you have and care not for what you don’t have.
19. Mediocrity is unacceptable. Don’t settle with anything or anybody who doesn’t help you become the best version of yourself.
20. Staying positive in any situation can make a bad experience one of the memorable ones. It will teach you valuable lessons. Smile and say no to wrinkles.
21. Change is inevitable. The best travel experiences are those that happen when you find yourself on an unexpected turn. The bad events can be the luckiest ones with just a change of mindset.
22. Good girls go to heaven. Badass chicks go everywhere.
23. There are no strangers, only friends you haven’t met yet.
24. People too weak to follow their dreams will always find ways to discourage you with yours. Ignore them.
25. You are capable of doing bigger things. Yes, you are more than you think you are.
26. Learn to acknowledge your fear but never let it stop you. The world needs more people who have come alive.
And most importantly:
27. Go live the life you dream about. Live life passionately.
Remember One life baby! ONE LIFE!